Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Have Been Sick for 10 Days, Yet That Hasn't Stopped Me

It's true.  Many of you might remember me mentioning my fatigue and fever from Valencia.  Well the fever only lasted that night and is gone but I got my annual (whats the word for every two or so years?) outbreak of a nasty cold sore due to the intense fever, which then was followed by what I believe is a cold accompanied by post nasal drip which then caused a sore throat and ... possibly a sinus infection.  But the cool thing is I'll never know...nor did I at any time over these past 8 days, see a doctor.  They take care of things a little differently here in España.  If you feel sick, you go to the pharmacy, not to an actual doctor or a hospital.  Hospitals I believe are for serious things like...broken bones and cancer.  Whereas anything that can be taken care of over the counter will be taken care of over the counter.

My first experience at the pharmacy was with Julia (the pharmacist) at the pharmacy around the corner from Aurelia's house last Wednesday.  It was for my fever blister thing that decided to consume half my face.  I walked in and pointed to my chin because I had failed to SpanishDict.com the word for cold sore, but Julia nodded knowledgeably and scurried into the backroom where she produced a tiny tiny tiny tube of gel/cream that was supposed to be applied 5 times a day (even though there was really only enough for one day).  At 2.50 euros it was quite a bargain since Abreva generally costs me (ie. my mom) around 12 dollars I believe.

Second experience was Friday when I had officially run out of the medicine and needed to pick up my friend (studying abroad in Rome but was coming to visit) from the airport.  Outbreak was severe and I was officially not getting the cat calls from men due to it.  I rushed into another pharmacy very close to my Friday classes and this time Teresa (I made up Teresa's name because I didn't actually have time to notice, they were super fast) the pharmacist saw me walk in and I think she was a little startled.  Cold sores are not pretty okay?  After a "oh...but it has advanced quite a lot." from her (translated from Spanish) she produced the exact same cream and charged me only 2 euros this time.  Medicine is cheap in Madrid.

Ran to get D from the airport...or rather I calmly took the metro and I slowly realized I had failed to establish a meeting point and that my Spanish phone to her Italian phone was not connecting.  Amazingly enough, I was walking towards the terminal I knew she was in and as fate would have it we literally ran into each other.  I hadn't even begun to panic yet.  Probably because at this point the actual illness that is in my body decided it wasnt getting enough attention and my sinus' plugged up and I was little light headed.

But see...being sick does not stop the fact that I am in Madrid or the fact that D was visiting.  So I continued onward.

And by onward I literally mean I think I've walked everywhere in Madrid.  I saw so many things that I haven't just because I don't think I've been exploring as much as I should be.  We walked around Aurelia's house, which is very very close to Casa de Campos where there is an amusement park (didn't go into the park, but its there), giant pond with row boats and men doing crew (is that the verb?) as well as a lot of outdoor restaurants and a ZOO (again, didn't go in...but its there).

On Saturday, when Madrid decided to rain instead of be sunny and cool like it normally is, we walked all over the city.  Started at Aurelia's house and up towards Templo de Debod which is ACTUALLY a legit ancient Egyptian ruin imported FROM Egypt (to clarify) as was originally in southern Egypt dedicated to the Egyptian Goddess Isis.  Back in the day, southern Egypt was flooding (like Egypt generally does...I hear, but more severely I assume) and Spain donated a lot of money for ruin preservation...so much that Egypt was so grateful they donated this Temple and they re-constructed it about a mile away from Aurelia's house.  So although I doubt I'll get to go to Egypt while I'm here, its cool I got to see this.  I think I've said Egypt enough that you all get the point.  Egypt.  We also met this random Spaniard named Pedro who once he took our picture, offered to get us into clubs for free.  And he had the cutest dog ever.  The Spanish are just so damn nice.

From there we walked through Plaza de España and although I pass this monument almost EVERY time I go to class, I always pass the back end of it and I never realized what it was until I was up close.  It's got Cervantes seated, looking down on Don Quijote and Sancho Panza, who you all already know are my faves.  Also for the past month, they've had a sort of open market at Plaza de España where everyone is selling these "Llamadores de Angeles" which are really long necklaces with basically a bell decorated and placed in a little sphere.  I'm beyond tempted to buy one and may have to go back.  A lot of people wear them here (and owl necklaces?  random...)

I am going to wrap up this blog post with my final visit to the Pharmacy.  I went back to Julia (real name, although identity is confidential).  After my hectic week I had become completely blocked up in the nasal region along with the sore throat.  I swiftly walked into the Pharmacy to wait in line for twenty minutes, as it appeared a group of fifty year old women had all come in together to purchase all the needs for all their families.  Julia, seeing and recognizing me, finally ushered me to the side and once again, as it so happens, my Spanish failed me and I forgot how to say mucus.  (Essential to know I suppose).  Actually I did remember the term "Mocos" which we affectionately refer to my one uncle occasionally, but I thought it was some Mexican slang and opted to whisper it due to my uncertainty and the fact it sounds ridiculous.  Julia laughed and produced a giant bottle of anti-mocos (I'm lazy and I'm not going to actually go check the bottle) but just said take it 3 times a day.  She didn't actually specify the amount, but I assumed two cap fulls 3 times a day would be sufficient.

It makes me a little dizzy but I feel its been effective.  I have so much to write still, but I think this blog post has exceeded the "interesting" limit and I'll wait a couple days to post the rest!!!

Love you alllllllllllll.

P.S.  No more barcelona this weekend.  (i.e. No Puyol stalking).  Trip there and back was just so DAMN expensive.  SIGH

No comments:

Post a Comment