Sunday, November 21, 2010

Magerit - Matrice - Madrid

No, this is not a cheesy album title but rather what I encountered today.  Surprisingly but willingly, I woke up this beautiful but chilly Sunday morning at 8am to meet Ruthie at Plaza Mayor to go on a walking tour of old Madrid.  For three euros, we followed the very quick "Fred" throughout the streets that me and mis amigos have been known to wander / get lost, and pass the very buildings that hold hundreds of years of history.  My bad.

On this tour, I learned more about Spanish history than in my actual Spanish (Contemporary) History class.  The development of the name "Madrid", the walls that once stood that are now indicated by different colored stones of the street, some ancient ruins that I always assumed were actually metro stations (awkward), and the creation of my favorite cathedral, Catedral de Almudena.

I went last week to mass at this Cathedral (yessss everyone can be shocked), and this week after our tour with Fred (yesss be even more shocked), and although it starts off super warm in the cathedral, it gradually descends to freezing, but the mass is pretty and the inside of the Cathedral is gorgeous.  It's a really contemporary cathedral, with cubist stained glass and the most colorful decor I've encountered of Spanish Cathedrals.  Granted it was finished about ten years ago, so that may be why, but its still my fav and recommend everyone to go, as the lack of post-life Jesus paintings are at a minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment