Tuesday, September 7, 2010

GG

Hi.

Let me explain the name first off.  I have a very English name that my very Mexican mother chose for me.  To this day, my extended family mixes up my name and always sends me very caring birthday and Christmas cards to a Julian...or a Julianne, or a Jilian.  Never mind being able to pronounce it.

From the time I was a baby my grandmother dubbed me "Gigi".  Obviously so she didn't have to mangle her favorite granddaughter's name every time and because I have noticed that most Hispanics will give nicknames to their offspring and fellow family members.  My sister's pseudo name is Isha.  My mother's Chabela or Chabe.  Consider it a sign that they like you if a Hispanic ever gives you a nickname...but don't forget it's probably because they can't pronounce your real name.

But now that I've either bored or enthralled you with that little story, I thought I'd set up the "big picture" here.

In five days I leave for Madrid, Spain.  I will be fully enrolled in a Spanish university, taking all of my business and artsy fartsy classes in Spanish.  Excluding the one class I opted to take.  Elementary French.

My friend B, who's going to be in Italy for the semester, and I have booked plane tickets to Paris for a long weekend in November.  I'm under the impression she knows enough to get us around, whereas I can ask for a grilled cheese sandwich and I know how to solicit a lover for the night (Thanks Lady Marmalade). 

And while I'm embracing my ancient Spanish roots, I will also embrace those of the French.  (although not foi gras.  No gracias.)

Eventually I'm sure this blog will make sense.  Although I'm aware at times, I don't.  It'll be easier if I choose a topic a day to tell you about, mon ami(e).

For tonight I think I'll stick with my name and my curious desire to learn how to order a French baguette.

GG

No comments:

Post a Comment